Thank you for taking the time to visit the Viburnum Junior/Senior High counselor’s page! I am here to help with the transition and decision making process as students progress through junior high and high school. I have provided a list of information and resources below. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a great day!
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS 2018-2019
Iron County C-4 High School students are required to complete 24 credits in order to graduate and be awarded a high school diploma. In addition to the required number of units, students must take a specific set of courses outlined in the graduation requirements below, complete required Missouri assessments, complete 30 minutes of CPR instruction, and pass the Missouri and United States Constitution exams. The required breakdown of courses is as follows:
- Communication Arts: 4 required units
- Social Studies: 3 required units
- Science: 3 required units
- Mathematics: 3 required units
- Fine Arts: 1 required unit
- Practical Arts: 1 required unit
- Physical Education: 1 required unit
- Electives: 8 required units (.5 must be Personal Finance and .5 must be CFL)
Please refer to the student handbook for a more detailed explanation of graduation requirements.
The primary goal of the A+ Schools Program is to help students be successful in high school and, later, after high school. Grant money is used to develop programs and classes to support this goal. A+ School designation allows graduating students the opportunity for two years of free tuition, books, and fees from any Missouri public community, vocational, or technical school. Viburnum high school students meeting the following requirements may be eligible for financial reimbursement (providing Viburnum High School maintains A+ status and funds are available from the Missouri General Assembly):
- Have a signed A+ program agreement on file at the high school.
- Attend an A+ designated high school for three consecutive years immediately prior to graduation.
- Graduate with an unrounded cumulative GPA of at least 6.875 on an 11.0 scale.
- Maintain at least an unrounded 95% cumulative attendance record in grades 9-12.
- Perform 50 hours of unpaid mentoring and/or tutoring to other students in our district.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the use of alcohol and unlawful drugs.
- Make a documented good faith effort to apply for non-payback financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Register for Selective Service, if applicable.
- Beginning with the high school senior class of 2015, have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I end of course exam.
BLUE JAY PRIDE AWARD PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
The benefit of the Blue Jay Pride Award Program is the opportunity for the students to earn tuition to a Missouri public college or technical school. To be eligible for this financial incentive, which currently amounts to $2,000.00 over a two year period, a student must be certified as a Blue Jay Pride Award Student of Iron County C-4 High School. The principal and the program director have the responsibility to certify whether a graduate of Iron County C-4 High School meets the criteria before graduation. Certification will require the eligible student to do the following:
- Sign a Blue Jay Pride Award Contract before the last day of the junior year.
- Enroll in and attend Iron County C-4 High School for one school year prior to graduation and meet all other qualifications outlined within the program.
- Maintain at least a 6.0 GPA on an 11.0 grading scale.
- Maintain a cumulative 95% attendance record for grades 9-12.
- Perform 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or community service.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoidance of unlawful use of drugs.
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 grading scale while attending college.
- Completing a follow-up survey administered by the Iron County C-4 school.
- Make a good faith effort to first secure all available federal post-secondary student financial assistance funds that do not require repayment.